《以茶會友》第四場：中元節的正知July Tea Session Recap: The Right Knowledge of the Seventh Lunar Month
二、 盂兰盆节的源起: 神通敵不過業力的領悟！
As soon as the 4th Tea Session commenced, Master Dai Hu asked all the participants their reasons for attending the session that night. He then praised everyone for their right decision. There was one participant who rushed to the session straight off an airplane as soon as it landed at Changi Airport! His thirst for knowledge and desire to be near a wise and virtuous teacher was definitely as a role model for others.
The Right Knowledge of the Seventh Lunar Month:
1. Why should you pay respect and offerings to the hungry ghosts? And why will your life journey be much smoother after the offering ritual?
2. The origin of the Ullambana Festival: Master Dai Hu’s realization that supernatural powers are no match for the force of Karma.
3. The Bodhisattvas fear the causation of sufferings, while sentient beings dread the sufferings without thinking of the cause. Please think thrice before committing any wrong!
4. Master Dai Hu discovered the truth of Hell’s existence, some 15 years ago while out in the deep sea on a cruise!
5. There are truly ghosts in this world!
6. As the Chinese saying goes, “Humans are afraid of the spirits, but the spirits are even more fearful of humans”! But why is the physical form no match for the “invisible” form?
7. How can we protect ourselves and not be tainted by the ghostly energy from the spirits?
8. What is inappropriate with activities like banquets and stage performances (“getai”) commonly held, during Seventh Lunar Month?
9. The Yin energy of Earth will increase gradually as the Seventh Lunar Month passed.
10. Which area of a house accumulates the most Yin energy? What can you do about it?
11. The necessity of having an altar for worship at home.
12. An altar, when enshrined correctly, brings in wealth everyday!
13. Your thoughts attract your misfortune. Rather than talking about spiritual practice, start the practice on your thoughts!
14. Why do you not necessarily get the blessings you prayed for at the temple?
15. The energy field of a piece of land becomes greatly disturbed when it is being dug.
16. When is the safest time to make offering to the “good brothers” (wandering spirits), without clashing with their Yin energies?
17. The proper rites and offerings when making offering to the “good brothers” (wandering spirits).
18. Making offerings to the “good brothers” (wandering spirits) is both an act of filial piety as well as compassion.
19. Where does the problem lies when the descendants are not prospering?
20. You must learn to let go while you are still alive, for everything is transient and temporary.
21. Our children do not belong to us, therefore having no descendant signifies the absence of such karmic hindrance.
22. The purpose of using chanting beads when reciting the Buddha’s Name or mantras is to strengthen your singular focus.
23. Merits should be accumulated on a daily basis, and chanting should not be done in a spurt during moments of crisis!
As the session came to a close, Master Dai Hu made time to answer the questions of all participants, equipping them with better knowledge of this offering practice that would benefit both the living and the deceased. Out of compassion, Master Dai Hu empowered and blessed the hand-worn prayer beads of a participant, helping her better resist negative energies around her. Before leaving, all participants thanked Master Dai Hu for the extremely beneficial session!